Monday, October 16, 2017

Review: Windwitch by Susan Dennard

Series: The Witchlands #2
Publication Date: January 10th 2017
Publisher: Tor Teen
Genre: YA, Fantasy 
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ TBD

Synopsis: Sometimes our enemies are also our only allies…

After an explosion destroys his ship, the world believes Prince Merik, Windwitch, is dead. Scarred yet alive, Merik is determined to prove his sister’s treachery. Upon reaching the royal capital, crowded with refugees, he haunts the streets, fighting for the weak—which leads to whispers of a disfigured demigod, the Fury, who brings justice to the oppressed.

When the Bloodwitch Aeduan discovers a bounty on Iseult, he makes sure to be the first to find her—yet in a surprise twist, Iseult offers him a deal. She will return money stolen from him, if he locates Safi. Now they must work together to cross the Witchlands, while constantly wondering, who will betray whom first?

After a surprise attack and shipwreck, Safi and the Empress of Marstok barely escape with their lives. Alone in a land of pirates, every moment balances on a knife’s edge—especially when the pirates’ next move could unleash war upon the Witchlands.

My Rating
4/5 stars

My Review
I love love love this series so much. I forgot how good it was until I picked up this book. The characters, the world, everything is just so wonderful.

Prince Merik should be dead, but he isn't. While he's badly burned to the point where its hard for people who didn't know him to recognize his face, Merik can successfully lead his own mission to determine it was his sister behind the attack on his boat.
Iseult is on the run, and her best way of staying alive is to align herself with the Bloodwitch, who just happens to be hunting her for the bounty on her head. Iseult is able to strike a deal with him, for him to help her get back to Safi.
Safi is a prisoner of the Empress, but when a surprise attack occurs on the Empress's ship, Safi and the Empress are barely able to escape, unfortunately the two escape right into the very people who have been hunting Safi for hiding her truth witchery. 

This book was very different than the first book. While the first book focused a lot on friendship and romance, this book was more focused on character development. I really liked both books equally, but this book just felt like it was missing out on the Safi Iseult friendship, and the first book was missing out on the character development too much. I'm really hoping the next book has both aspects, which will definitely make me love this series even more.

I wasn't too keen on reading Merik's point of view. While it was really different and filled with lots of action and development, I kind of found him to be very stubborn to the point of being annoying and selfish. His part of the ending definitely earned my respect, and made up for the not so good beginning to his side of the story. Hopefully the next part is a bit more interesting in the next book.

I liked Safi's point of view. While it wasn't anything too crazy, Safi has a way of making the reader laugh with her funny one liners and her part of the story was definitely the comedic relief of the story. I did like her by herself, but it would have been so much better if she was with Iseult, I felt like her part of the story would have been even funnier and more entertaining.

I absolutely loved Iseult and Aeduan's story. I wasn't a huge fan of the bloodwitch in the first book, I liked him but I didn't love him. My feelings definitely changed in this book, he easily became on the best characters in this book, and his personality and honour really have me admire him. I thought his and Iseult's story was the most action filled and kept me engaged the most out of all three storylines. I can't wait to read more from these two.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. I liked it just as much as Truthwitch, although I think both books could be a lot better with minor tweaking. I can't wait to read the next book.

Happy Reading,
Aneta 

1 comment:

  1. The reviews for this installment of the series seem to be all over the place. I haven't read the series yet, but I can't wait to get to it. I'm glad you enjoyed the book overall!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...