Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Review: Things I Should Have Known by Claire LaZebnik

Publication Date: March 28th 2017
Publisher: HMH Book For Young Readers
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance 
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: From the author of Epic Fail comes the story of Chloe Mitchell, a Los Angeles girl on a quest to find love for her autistic sister, Ivy. Ethan, from Ivy’s class, seems like the perfect match. It’s unfortunate that his older brother, David, is one of Chloe’s least favorite people, but Chloe can deal, especially when she realizes that David is just as devoted to Ethan as she is to Ivy. 

Uncommonly honest and refreshingly funny, this is a story about sisterhood, autism, and first love. Chloe, Ivy, David, and Ethan, who form a quirky and lovable circle, will steal readers’ hearts and remind us all that it’s okay to be a different kind of normal.  


My Rating
3/5 stars

My Review
Things I Should Have Known is a wonderful and heartwarming novel. Not only is it deep, but it is also very educational.

Chloe is your typical high school girl. She is beautiful, popular, blonde and in love with the most popular guy at her school. When she notices her autistic sister is sad and lonely, she steps out of her narcissistic bubble and decides to help Ivy by finding her a boyfriend. On her journey to help her sister, Chloe not only learns to see her sister in a new way, but learn about the mistakes she's made in the past, and just how wrong she was.

I personally didn't like Chloe at all. Okay maybe she started to get a little bit better near the end of the novel, but at the beginning I could not stand her. My hatred for her was so strong I almost gave up on the book.

The reason I didn't give up was because of David and Ivy. Both of them were amazing characters, so different in their own way, yet really amazing. Ivy really surprised me, I haven't read book about autistic characters before, so this was a first for me, then when we find out more about Ivy I almost fell off my chair. She is so pure and gentle, I absolutely love her.
David on the other hand, I mean how could you not love that sass? I loved hearing about his story, especially when he started opening up. His character development was really wonderful, and intriguing.

I found the book to be a little boring at first, but after about 40% in I was really starting to like the characters and had to finish reading. The writing itself wasn't my favourite, but I got used to it after a while and didn't mind it near the end.

The romance in this book was really wonderful to read about. The connections were so very real and the development was so strong. I definitely recommend this for all the cute romance lovers out there.

Overall, this book was really eyeopening and so very enjoyable. I definitely recommend giving it a read if this sounds like the type of book you would go for.

Happy Reading,
Aneta.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...