Monday, March 16, 2015

Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

Series: His Fair Assassin #3
Publication Date: November 4, 2014
Publisher: HMH Books For Young Readers
Genre: YA, Adventure, Romance
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.

She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has.

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Review: “I am beginning to think that love itself is never wrong. It is what love can drive people to do that is the problem.” 

Mortal Heart is the perfect ending to the His Fair Assassin trilogy. It is the perfect finale not only for Annith, but the other characters as well. I am sad to see this series come to an end, but I can't be any happier with how this series ended.

Annith has watched her sisters come and go, but when she is told that she is in line to become a Seeress, she can't take it anymore and decides to leave the compound. As Annith embarks on an adventure out of the compound of Saint Mortain, she must put her knowledge to the test if she wants to survive. 

This whole book took me by surprise. I've heard of some people not liking Annith as much as the other characters in the series, so going in to the book I had pretty low expectations for Annith. Yet when I read the book, some of her actions took me by surprise and I ended up falling in love with Annith just like I did with the other characters. As the story continued I fell in love with her more and more, with her fearless attitude and her perseverance to keep going when nothing is going right really intrigued me and I couldn't put the book down.

Balthazaar is Annith's love interest in this story. I can honestly tell you that out of all the couples in the previous books, Annith and Balthazaar are by far my favourite. Their love is something 'different' than what you have seen in the other books, but it is just so much better than the rest. I feel like this was one of the main reasons that made me love the book so much. I don't want to spoil the book and tell you more about the romance in this book, but I will tell you that it takes you by surprise. Don't worry its a good surprise, that will make you love Annith even more.

The world-building, and the action packed plot have not changed much since the first book. Ever since the first book Robin's world-building has been extremely creative and fun to read about. I loved how she included fictional characters in past historical events and made them fit in so well. Her descriptions are absolutely perfect and make the images pop out of the pages while you read them. 
The plot is filled with tons of action that keeps you on your toes and guess what's going to happen next. There isn't a boring point in the book because there's always something happening. 

Overall, I found this book to be just as good as the others in the series, except that the romance is far better. I highly recommend this series to every I talk to. If you love action, assassins and romance this is the book for you. I do recommend you read the first two books in the series before picking this one up though.

Happy Reading,
-Aneta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...