Sunday, March 2, 2014

World After by Susan Ee

Series: Penryn & the End of Days #2
Publication Date: November 19th 2013
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy, Dystopia
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Review: The Aerie has fallen, but the angels haven't. Finally reunited with her family, Penryn tries to keep them safe, but it’s very difficult to do that when your little sister is a monster. 

I was amazed at how great this book was. Even without Raffee in the beginning, there was still enough action and story-line that made you want to keep reading. 

Penryn is still the same brave and fearless girl we have grown to love. In this book we definitely see a different side of her, where she is sometimes the outcast and other times a hero. Yet her love for her family and her amazing duration to survive has stayed the same. She is still as brilliant and lovable as ever. And she can still fight her way out of anything, especially now with Raffee’s sword in her hands.

We don't see much of Raffee in this book, since he believes that Penryn is dead because of the fight at the Aerie in the last book. But trust me, that wait is so worth it in the end. 
We also see little parts of Raffee's past and little parts of his POV from the first book. I'm usually not a huge fan of this but it was brilliantly written in this book. It not only gave us insight about Raffee, but it was also very interesting to read about. 

I was greatly impressed with Paige in this book. I really don't want to say anything, just so that I don't ruin the book to those who haven't read it yet. But trust me when I say you will love her.

The world building wasn't too great. We did get to know where Penryn was and we got some details about the places she stayed in a longer time, but there were many little areas of the story where I barely knew what her world looked like. It was really focused on the character and the action.

This book was honestly perfect, the only thing that I could find wrong with it, was kind of the New Moon feeling where the main guy is gone and then he comes back later in the book, and the whole world-building thing, but it wasn't too bad. You could deal with it and it’s not something that would make you stop reading. For me, it’s definitely the characters in this book that have my main focus.

Definitely recommend this book to everyone! This whole series is so fantastic and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves Fantasy books.

I buddy read this book with Angel from Spare Reads, check out her review. It would mean the world to both of us :)

Thanks for reading,
- Aneta

2 comments:

  1. Whoa you are already posting reviews :P Making me feel like a slacker now. This series is absolutely amazing and I really have no idea where Susan Ee is gonna take us. Penryn is just as impressive and kick-ass as she always has been, which I love so very much. I'm really excited to see Paige in the coming installments as her significance is finally being portrayed, instead of just being a helpless little girl Penyrn tries to rescue. Ahhhh I'm really not looking forward to the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had too! I just had so much on my mind that I had to write it down. And I completely agree, I love it when the underdog turns into the coolest character ever and just completely blows my mind! The wait is a long one, but if its as good as this book its so worth the wait! We should buddy read the next one too :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...